MY CURRENT ANTI-AGING SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR ACNE-PRONE SKIN
In this post I’m sharing a behind-the-scenes look at my current anti-aging skincare routine for acne-prone skin.
My skincare routine has evolved throughout the years, and continues to change as I experiment with what works best for my skin at any given time. For the past year or so I used Beautycounter’s Rejuvenating line, and when I heard about the new Countertime Collection I was curious but admittedly resisted loving for a long time.
In fact, I actually stocked up on the Rejuvenating serum and moisturizer before the Countertime products arrived because I was digging my heels in, resisting it hard. I guess I need to re-home those now…
Anyway, I decided I needed to give the whole line try in earnest (minus the Supreme Cream – which is WAY too thick and oily for me!), to know my real thoughts.
After now several months of using it (since July, 2019), I’m loving this line so far. The bottles are significantly bigger than the Rejuvenating line too, so I know they’ll last me a long time.
As with most things I share, this is just what works for me for anti-aging benefits and my acne-prone skin. If you are interested in specific recommendations for your own skin, send me a note to beauty (at) balancedbites.com
My current anti-aging skincare routine:
I rotate cleansers based on how my skin feels and what I know each one does for my own skin. Post-workout, if my skin is feeling a bit greasy, or if I feel that I have some inflamed pimples trying to pop up, I’ll opt for the Charcoal Bar. I find it helps my skin get extra clean, especially when I use it with my Clarisonic.
I do sometimes double cleanse (wash my face with two different cleansers), but only after wearing a lot of makeup most often. In that case I sometimes use the Charcoal Bar first, then the Cleansing Balm second.
After cleansing, I’ll reach for the Countertime Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence. I use a dime-sized amount (about 5 shakes) and massage it into my skin in an upward motion. I like this product since it’s lightweight and offers the same benefits as a toner, but is more gentle. It does feel a bit sticky after applying it, though once I am finished with the rest of my routine I no longer notice it.
Next, while the Essence is still a bit damp, I apply 1 pump of the Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum. This serum helps reduce any appearance of fine lines or wrinkles, and overall leaves my skin looking extra glowy.
I tested the Countertime Tetrapeptide Supreme Cream, and found that it was too thick for my acne-prone skin. I would recommend it to anyone who has extra dry skin or in times of needing an extra boost of moisturizer.
I use the Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream for morning and evening, which is a much better fit. It’s lightweight while still boosting hydration. I’ll use the Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream on my face and around my ears because I sometimes break out there, and want to make sure the active ingredients in the moisturizer reach there too.
The last of the Countertime Collection products I use in my skincare routine is the Ultra Renewal Eye Cream. Just a small dab under and around each eye works well for me to help revitalize the delicate skin there.
If I have any active breakouts, I reach for the SOS Spot Treatment! It’s a magic product, and it works best when you can catch a pimple in the “underground” stage. You know, when it’s painful and a teeny bit red but not-yet surfaced. If it’s come to the surface, the SOS will still work great, but I find it is most effective at the first sign of your breakout.
Lastly, I finish my skincare routine with the Lip Conditioner in peppermint! I am obsessed with this product and can’t sleep without it on my lips now.
- Is there a separate SPF for daytime or is there SPF in the Countertime Antioxidant Soft Cream?
- Anytime I’m leaving the house I use Dew Skin tinted moisturizer with SPF 20 over the soft cream.
- I’m in my late 20’s and I want to incorporate one product. What would you suggest?
- If I were only picking ONE item, I’d go with the Countertime Tripeptide Radiance Serum. Serums are rich in active ingredients that get delivered more deeply than a moisturizer – plus, most people aren’t using them and can really benefit. That said, to see the best benefits, I do love for people to use the Essence, Serum, and Soft Cream together.
- Was your face slightly red the first few times you used the new line?
- I don’t remember – it may have been. The actives are, well, active! One of them does help circulation a bit so it may make you a tiny bit red at first then will even things out. When I applied too much eye cream my skin was pink from it, then it went away.
- How is it going with your acne prone skin? Any breakouts?
- I thought I broke out a little from it at first but I don’t know for sure if it was the product. If it was, that has stopped. It may have been from the Supreme Cream initially, which I no longer use.
- How does this differ from the Rejuvenating line? Isn’t it essentially the same thing?
- It’s not the same at all! The active ingredients are a totally new development combining a well studied, safer alternative to retinol called Bakuchiol (we aren’t the only ones using this ingredient), combined with elements from Swiss Alpine Rose, to form Retinatural Complex (exclusive to Beautycounter). It’s a new breakthrough in skincare for aging gracefully.
- Can you use Countertime with the Rejuvenating line simultaneously?
- Yes, but the Rejuvenating line is being discontinued so switching once you run out is a good plan. I used both together for a while before I had the soft cream and eye cream on-hand.
- Would you recommend that someone use the entire Countertime line together for best results?
- Yes. If you’re doing a before and after and want to see the best results but don’t need to throw out what you own and invest in it all day one either. You can slowly swap as you run out of your existing products. You can also combine others that work well for your skin – there are no set rules!
Have you tried Countertime yet? If so, what do you think? What’s your favorite product?
If you’re curious about making the switch to safer skincare and don’t know where to start, shoot me an email (beauty (at) balancedbites.com) and we can find a fit for you. I’ll help make 1:1 recommendations that are right for your skin type.