Episode #35: Addiction, Sobriety, and Disordered Eating: An Interview With Abbie & Her Husband
It’s a husband episode! Abbie and her husband Jeb are interviewed about how they have navigated, and continue to navigate, their relationship with Jeb being a recovering addict and Abbie having recovered from an eating disorder.
This episode is full of helpful thoughts and tips for anyone who is in a relationship or friendship where mental health is central to the partnership (so, all of us!).
- Jeb’s story with addiction and how he got sober
- How Abbie and Jeb met and what dating looked like
- How they support one another when they have very different personalities
- What they have learned from each other about mental health
- The similarities and differences between addiction and eating disorders
- Genetic factors and environmental factors for both
- How to approach a friend who is struggling
We are a listener-supported show (no ads!) so please support us on Patreon for bonus episodes atPatreon.com/fullplate Patreon is also where we publicly host transcripts for each episode, so if you’re looking for those, head over to our Patreon.
In this episode:
- What’s New with You [4:07]
- Main Course: [13:55]
- Introducing Jeb; Abbie’s husband [9:00]
- Jeb and Abbie’s history [18:25]
- How Abbie handled the addiction [26:57]
- Similarities between substance abuse and disordered eating behaviors [37:42]
- Supporting a spouse with a substance abuse or eating disorder [45:17]
- Finding spousal support with diet culture [1:01:28]
- Replacing substance abuse with disordered eating and compulsive exercise [1:12:54]
- Loving Lately [1:23:48]
For a full transcript of episode #35 of Full Plate Podcast, head over to our Patreon — show notes are publicly shared while bonus episodes require that you become a Patron.