Today we’re answering a listener question from instagram. The question is about being tempted to restrict or revert to elimination of foods during an autoimmune flare, and how to cope without diet culture.
We discuss the influence of wellness culture on the autoimmune community, the pitfalls of food as a way to “fix” ourselves when our bodies are struggling, and how to think about this complex experience from a lens of compassion and true self-care.
Links of Interest:
- Review of Studies on Hashimoto's & Gluten
- Current Evidence on the Efficacy of Gluten-Free Diets in Multiple Sclerosis, Psoriasis, Type 1 Diabetes and Autoimmune Thyroid Diseases
- Doubtful Justification of the Gluten-Free Diet in the Course of Hashimoto’s Disease
We are a listener-supported show (no ads!) so please support us on Patreon for bonus episodes at Patreon.com/fullplate
Patreon is also where we publicly host transcripts for each episode, so if you’re looking for those, head over to our Patreon.
In this episode:
- What’s New with You [1:41]
- Loving Lately [10:34]
- Main Course: Listener question regarding autoimmunity and “clean” eating [14:42]
- The food is not the problem [22:22]
- Diet culture thinking [28:12]
- Moments [38:52]
For a full transcript of episode #23 of Full Plate Podcast, head over to our Patreon — show notes are publicly shared while bonus episodes require that you become a Patron.